September 19, 2016
"The Eucharistic Liturgy is the center of the Church’s life. In this Liturgy, the whole Body of Christ gathers around its head, Jesus Christ, to join with His perfect sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving to the Father. In receiving the Eucharist, we receive strength to grow more like Christ and lead lives of loving service, conformed to him.”
—United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB)
Amarillo—The first of seven scheduled opportunities to take the course on The Liturgy/La Liturgia will be offered Saturday, Oct. 1, according to Sister María Elena Ferrer, SSND, coordinator of the Diocesan Office of Faith Formation.
While catechists in the Diocese of Amarillo are encouraged to take advantage of this on-going Faith Formation opportunity, the course is open to any and all wishing to attend this course, which are being offered throughout the Diocese of Amarillo in October and November.
All presentations will be taught from 9:30am to 12:30pm, according to Sister María Elena.
The Liturgy course is one of eight segments in a series of courses for the Faith Formation Basic Certification, which began its second go-round in the Fall of 2013 with Introduction to the Scriptures, followed by Prayer—The Four Types of Prayer; Morality; the Sacraments of Initiation; Sacraments of Healing; and Ministry of Catechesis, which was offered last spring. Of the seven presentations offered this fall, three will be in Spanish.
The schedule for The Liturgy/La Liturgia are:
• Saturday, Oct. 1, in English for the Central Deanery at St. Hyacinth Church, 4500 West Hills Trail, Amarillo. The presenter will be Father Scott L. Raef, rector of St. Mary’s Cathedral, Amarillo.
• Saturday, Oct. 8, in the East Deanery at St. Vincent de Paul Church, 810 West 23
rd Street, Pampa. The course will be facilitated in English by Sister Marie Andre Miszewski, SSND, with Sister María Elena Ferrer presenting the course in Spanish.
• Saturday, Oct. 8, in Spanish for the Central Deanery at Blessed Sacrament Church, 2500 South Bolton, Amarillo. Father Haider Quintero, pastor at Blessed Sacrament, will be the instructor.
• Saturday, Oct. 22, in the North Deanery at Sts. Peter and Paul Church, 900 Bruce in Dumas. The course will be presented in English by Monsignor Michael Colwell, JCL, pastor of St. Anthony of Padua Church, Dalhart, while Sister María Elena Ferrer will facilitate the course in Spanish; and,
• Saturday, Nov. 5, for the South Deanery at St. Anthony’s Church, 115 North 25 Mile Ave., Hereford. Father Ken Keller, pastor of Holy Family Church, Nazareth, will be the presenter.
“There is no charge for this course,” said Sister María Elena. “All catechists in the Diocese of Amarillo who need this segment are expected to attend. We want to particularly encourage catechists who need this one segment to complete their basic certification to attend. We ask that participants bring a Bible, pen and pad and choose a date that is convenient to them. Make plans to attend this course and receive your certificate of attendance.”
For more information, please contact your parish DRE or Sister María Elena Ferrer, SSND, coordinator of the Diocesan Office of Faith Formation at the Diocesan Pastoral Center, 806-383-2243, ext. 113. Additional information can also be found on the diocesan website, www.amarillodiocese.org.